Lucky 13 with Michigan Rattlers
1. What was the first song you ever performed?
Fortunate son by CCR was the first song my middle school band performed. I think the political overtones were lost on us but we still loved the song.
2. Did you come from a musical background?
No one in my family is particularly musical. The band program in my hometown is pretty intense. I played saxophone and tuba all through school.
3. If you had to do it all over again, would you still choose this career? Would you do anything differently?
I wouldn’t trade this career for the world. It’s hard to know if I would do anything differently at this point in my career. Get back to me in 10 years.
4. What would be your advice to artists that are new to the touring circuit?
A sleeping bag is essential. If you see vegetables eat them. They are few and far between. And you only get to have your first tour once. Soak it all in. Traveling the country and playing music with your friends isn’t something that everyone gets to do.
5. What are 3 things that you have to have with you at all times/never leave home without?
My watch. My wallet. A .73 Dunlop tortex pick.
6. As a child growing up, music surrounds us; What type of music did you hear the most back then? How does it differ from what you listen to now?
My parents always had music on in the house. Van Morrison, Cat Stevens, and John Prine were big ones. It doesn’t differ much! Song is king
7. What made you first realize you wanted to pursue a career in music?
Watching the AC/DC live at Donington DVD when I was 11 made me want to be a musician. I watched Angus play the opening riff to thunderstruck in front of 75,000 people and there was no going back
8. If you had to describe your music in three or four words, what would you call it?
Kinda Sorta Rock & Roll
9. What are your songs about? (What specific themes do they cover?)
Most of my songs are about relationships. The relationships with significant others, parents, hometown, addiction. All we have are our relationships with people and places and things.
10. Do you have other interests or talents you would like to share with us?
I am a self proclaimed cinephile. I am fascinated with every aspect of film making. Behind the camera and in front. I have a pretty extensive list of films to watch on my phone. It gets longer everyday.
11. Who does most of the songwriting?
I do. I’ve never a more intense love/hate relationship with anything.
12. Someone once said write what you would want to perform over and over. With that in mind, what song do you love to perform the most?
It changes. But right now “Evergreen.” People get a little quieter during that song and it reminds me of home.
13. What are your up-to-date performance plans? New Releases? Tours ? News?
We are currently touring the east coast with the Lil Smokies – we will be in Nashville on Feb 9th playing the High Watt – and are scheduled to hit the west coast with them in April.
For more information on Michigan Rattlers, visit: www.michiganrattlers.com